Setting up the Environment
This website is about Java and Java Technologies. In order to be able to use the examples shown in this website, you need the following things:
- Java Development Kit version 8 or better (download from here)
- SpringSource Tool Suite (download from here)
- Maven (download from here)
- SVN Plugin (update link from here)
This tutorial provides a step-by-step guide how to setup the development environment on a Windows 7 (Homepage) operating system. Please note that while you can follow this tutorial even if you are using a different operating system, some of the steps shown here may not be the same for all operating systems. For example, a Linux operating system (Homepage) does not install programs under the “Programs Files” folder like a Windows operating system does. On the other hand, the configuration of the SpringSource Tool Suite is the same irrespective of the operating system. Furthermore, irrespective of the operating system, the order of how things are done is the same for all operating systems.
The tutorial comprises the following
- 32 bit vs. 64 bit version: Shows how to determine which version of Java and tool suite to install
- Download and Install Java: Demonstrates how to find the latest version of the Java development kit and goes through the whole installation process
- Downloads and Install SpringSource Tool Suite: Describes the process of finding the right version of the SpringSource Tool Suite and shows how to install it too
- Download and Configure Maven: While SpringSource Tool Suite comes with an embedded version of Maven, this tutorial also shows how to download and configure a standalone Maven. This is an optional step but it is highly recommended to configure maven separate from SpringSource Tool Suite as this allows you to use Maven without the need of the SpringSource Tool Suite
- Install SVN Eclipse Plugin: All code shown in the Java Creed website is available for download from the GitHub Repository (GitHub Repository). The final part of the tutorial shows how to install the SVN plugin and how to checkout projects from the repository directly into the SpringSource Tool Suite
Resources and Technologies
Following is a list of resources technologies used in this tutorial. These are shown in the order they appear.
- Java Development Kit: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Spring Source Tool Suite: https://spring.io/tools3/sts/all
- Maven: http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi
Please note that the videos are recorded in HD (720p). Make sure to use the correct resolution to make the best out of these videos as shown below.
This page described all that is required in order to make full use of the examples shown in this website. Should you have any problems in setting up the environment and getting started, please contact me at: